10 Young People become BRYR Young Leaders
Congratulations to all for completing our first Young Leader Development Programme
The young people who are now recognised as being
BRYR Young Leaders are:
(in alphabetical order)
Congratulations to them all!
The YLD programme is a youth leadership programme targeted at young people so they can develop personal and social skills in order to grow as individuals and influence their community positively. This programme is for young people from Ballymun aged 16-22 who are involved in the Reco and who are interested in making a difference in their lives and / or in the life of their community.
The YLDP aims to enable young people to develop their leadership capacity and bring this capacity to bear in their own lives and in the life of their community.
After the programme, the Young Leader could be a person who could
- Promote a changing role for young people in BRYR
- Have responsibility in a voluntary way.
- Reflect the young person’s maturity and growth.
- Reflect young peoples voices in BRYR
- Have a specific status, and potential as a skilled and experienced leader in BRYR or in the community.
- Be part of a network of young people that BRYR can seek advice from and help us with decisions that relate specifically to the wellbeing of young people.
Information about this programme cycle, Feb – May 2012, 13 weeks.
- The Young Leaders Development Programme was promoted
- An information session was held.
- Interested young people filled in an application form.
- Formal Interviews were held.
- 12 young people were given places and started on the programme.
- 9 young people are completing this programme cycle.
The young people
- Attended weekly sessions every Thursday 8-10pm
- Participated in exercises,
- Facilitated ice-breakers themselves, every week
- Did a 6hour voluntary placement with an activity of their choice
- Did presentations to their peer group assessing the placement
- Worked together to organise a group event – their celebration night.
Next steps for this particular group
The group will be invited to get involved in leading youth/community initiatives they are interested in, with the support of mentors and staff.
Other next steps;
The Young Leaders Development Programme will run again later in the year. This will engage a new group of interested young people.